Michel is one of the motion picture industry’s premier independent producers and an internationally recognized expert on production financing and incentives and international out-of-home entertainment project financing.
He is the managing partner of The Handpicked Company, based in Los Angeles & Montreal, and has produced films in Canada, USA, India, Australia, New Zealand, Croatia, and South America.
A graduate of Canada’s McGill University, he attended law school for two years before deciding on a career in the entertainment business. The two films for which he is most well known – Catch Me If You Can and I, Robot – had a combined gross of nearly one billion dollars in revenue. Both films were based on material acquired and fully developed by Shane.
- Hand Picked ventured with Ginepri Capital – a Wall Street hedge fund – to consult on the production and financing of multiple slates of films for a five-year term.
- Lecturer on film finance and production at UCLA Extension and has also served on UCLA’S Extension program Advisory Board.
- Guest lecturer in Brazil, Canada, China, Great Britain, India, Italy, Singapore and numerous American States to advise on film finance structuring.
- Chair of The Emily Shane Foundation; A non profit which helps middle school children at risk of failure with a one on one mentoring program. The Foundation also promotes children Passing It Forward.
Additional production credits include:
- Paramount Classic’s Northfork (James Woods, Nick Nolte, Peter Coyote and Daryl Hannah)
- Tru-TV’s highly rated reality show entitled “BAIT CAR” with 100 episodes produced.